Airbus has inaugurated a pioneering venture in Chengdu, China, with the opening of the Airbus Lifecycle Services Centre (ALSC), a facility dedicated to managing the complete lifecycle of an aircraft. This groundbreaking initiative marks the first center globally to offer a comprehensive suite of services, ranging from parking and storage to maintenance, upgrades, and even recycling, all under one roof.
The ALSC, certified by both the European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) and the Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAAC), spans an impressive 717,000 square meters. It boasts the capacity to accommodate 125 aircraft and is poised to fully ramp up its operations by 2025. This facility is not just a technical marvel but also a beacon of environmental responsibility, with its main buildings having achieved the LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification, a testament to Airbus's commitment to sustainable aerospace practices.
Cristina Aguilar, Airbus SVP Customer Services, expressed her enthusiasm about the ALSC's launch, highlighting its role in fostering sustainable aerospace and exemplifying Chinese-European cooperation in the aviation industry's circular economy development.
This centre is more than just a storage facility; it embodies a joint venture combining Airbus's expertise with Tarmac Aerosave's proficiency in efficient aircraft storage, dismantling, and recycling. This synergy ensures that approximately 75% of the aircraft housed at the centre will return to the skies post-storage and upgrades. The remaining 25% will undergo a meticulous dismantling process by Tarmac Aerosave, ensuring about 90% of the aircraft weight is recovered.
The ALSC is a significant milestone in the aviation industry, particularly for business and leisure travelers who prioritize sustainability and efficiency in their travel choices. It promises a future where aircraft management is not only about utility but also about environmental stewardship, setting a new standard in the global aviation sector. The centre's establishment in Chengdu also highlights the city's emerging role as a hub for aviation innovation and cross-continental collaboration, offering a glimpse into the future of eco-friendly and efficient air travel.